Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm

if an employer sends an employee home for turning up in work

if an employer sends an employee home for turning up in work intoxicated is it then thier duty to stop that person driving a car home ?
Alex Hughes : My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today.
Alex Hughes : This could be argued both ways. One one hand the employer obligations start and end in the workplace so There is no obligation on the employer to stop a drunken employee driving home. But on the other hand it could be argued that an employer owes a duty of care to an employee and allowing him to drive is a breach of that duty. I can have a look at some case law in the morning if that would help you.

thank you