How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hi, I helped my mum to buy her home as an investment. I don't

This answer was rated:

Hi, I helped my mum to buy her home as an investment. I don't want my name on deeds but she wants to leave me a larger proportion of the home as an asset in her will to protect me when she dies. Is this possible to be written as a percentage or fraction without amending deeds? As the remainder will be divided between myself and my brother who didn't help.
Your mother is free to provide in her Will that you are to receive say 75% share of the property and your brother is to receive say 25% share of the property.
The declaration of trust is used to recognise your contribution to the purchase of the property and to make you the beneficial owner of whatever percentage is provided as yours in the declaration of trust.
The declaration of trust protects you better if your brother decides to contest your mother's Will so your solicitor has not really got it wrong.
Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your response. Can ou please tell me if it's essential to have a deed of trust, or optional?

It is optional.