How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71050
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My ex husband has two of my cars in his possession which were

This answer was rated:

My ex husband has two of my cars in his possession which were given to him to sell by me We have since fallen out over a separate matter and he is demanding money from me or he won't give the cars back. This is not a criminal matter I have discussed it with the police. How do I go about getting both of my vehicles back as quickly as possible in view of depreciation. I am the registered keeper of both vehicles. Thank you
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
You can seek a possession order from the civil courts. There will be cost in that though.
Another alternative is to sue for the sum of money the cars are worth which is generally cheaper and easier to enforce.
In either case though, you do run the risk that he may counter claim for the money that he says is owed and if you lose you would end up paying his costs.
It is worth trying to avoid litigation if possible in a situation such as this where both sides have a claim.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you do I sue through the small claims court?
What is the sum of the claim?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If you just want the money then that is a small claims court sum.