How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71154
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hello, I have just seen on my credit report that I received

This answer was rated:

I have just seen on my credit report that I received default notice in 2012 from southern water it has my name but my wife's date of birth. Back in 2006 my wife changed the account to her name and. They updated her date of birth but never changed her name. The default should have been registered against her name. The amount was £197.00 which is a very small amount. It was around the time that we had a faulty meter which was finally changed.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Do you accept the account is still in your name?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No as my wife changed it to her name it was only when I went for a mortgage that i found out about it. When I looked on the report it's got my name but wifes date of birth
Yes, but is the account in her name?
I realised she tried to change it but they seem to be saying they didn't do it.
Do the bills still come to you or her?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, no they have my name on the bills . On the credit report it says the account was changed in 2006 I brought my property in 2000 and I was on the bill then but in 2006 it states on the credit report it was started and they only changed the DOB and not the name
You need to get to the bottom of that.
If they will not tell you clearly then you can always submit a FOI request. It won't come to that though. They will not refuse the information in the long run.
If they have changed it into her name then the default should be on her account. You can easily change that by a simple data protection complaint because the default is simply wrong.
If it is not in her name then the default is accurate sadly. It is unfair but it is accurate. They will not remove it for that reason.
If that is the case, you might have a claim against them essentially in negligence for failing to do so. It is difficult to assess that. It depends on the facts of the situation.
You could also complain to the Ombudsman and they may offer compensation arising from that.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your replies
No problem.
All the best.