How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi. When an engaged couple decides to separate and they own

Customer Question

Hi. When an engaged couple decides to separate and they own a house on a 50/50 basis. What is the normal procedure. The male can comfortably re pay the mortgage where as the woman can't.
The female has now turned to involving the police with allegations about domestic violence, and hereby got the male removed from the property with a bail date on 30/12/14.
There is no history of violence and the 'story' is not backed up by bruising, scratching, A&E visits or similar.
The female appears to think she should stay in the property and the male should pay.
The male is my so and he is understandably quite upset about it all, especially regarding the arrest and the fear of a criminal record as he could loose his job.
I hope you will be able to ease his mind and advice him on what to do next.
Kind regards ***** ***** dad'.
Thank you
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Are there any children involved?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare.

I'm sorry not to have responded to your request. I was using my phone to contact you, but I'm not very familiar with it yet, hence I couldn't access your answer as I didn't know what I was doing phone wise. Bit sad really.

Anyway, to your questions.

House value approx £250.000,00.

Outstanding mortgage approx £175.000,00

No children.

My son would like to stay in the property, as it is convenient for his work and associated commuting to various sites.

Kind regards

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
That is fine - technology often defeats me
What income do they each have?