How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71040
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My ex does drugs and walked out on me when he knew I was pregnant.

This answer was rated:

My ex does drugs and walked out on me when he knew I was pregnant. He is not on my babies birth certificate. He has seen her occassionally, but she gets very upset, so I stopped his visits. I received a letter yesterday to say he has applied for visitation rights. Do I have to allow this?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
No, but he can apply for contact to the court and he will succeed.
It might very well be that the Court would want supervised contact at the outset given your allegations of drug use but he will get some contact.
If you don't agree all it will mean long term is that you will lose control over the contact arrangements I'm afraid. The fact that she gets upset is not going to be considered a good reason to deny contact and it is something he will be able to use against you that you have denied contact on that basis.
I am sorry but I have to give you truthful information. The days when contact could be denied at the choosing of the mother are long gone.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you