How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask tdlawyer Your Own Question
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1096
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
Type Your Law Question Here...
tdlawyer is online now

I have been off work for the past 2 weeks through illness,

This answer was rated:

I have been off work for the past 2 weeks through illness, I went in for one day but I was throwing up at work. I know I'm over worked and my diet is awful as a result of this. Minimal breaks and the stress of the job, I didn't however seek my GP's permission for the time off and am curious as too what I can do regarding a sick note. My company doesn't pay sick leave so I wasn't aware one would be needed. Any advice on the situation would be most appreciated. Thank you
tdlawyer :

Hi thanks for your question. My name is***** can answer this.

tdlawyer :

You're entitled to self-certify your own absence for a period of up to 7 days off work. You only need a doctors note for periods longer than this, unless of course your contract of employment says otherwise.

tdlawyer :

So, for the period after the 7 days, you will need the doctors not, and you've been off for two weeks, which means for the latter part, the second week, you'll need to the note. You just go and see your GP or a private doctor and they will assess you and decide whether you're fit for work or not.


Thank you very much for the prompt reply and answer

tdlawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you