How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have some personal belongings held in a friends garage. He

This answer was rated:

I have some personal belongings held in a friends garage. He is asserting that I owe him money ( completely unrelated to the possessions stored ). He is saying unless I pay him back in full I will not be allowed to collect my things.
What is my legal position in this?
Mark Sprigg
Alex Watts :

Hello Mark my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

I assume you dont have any form of written agreement? How much is in dispute?

Customer: Hi - my things are worth about £500 - I owe him about £9k unrelated to my goods or the storage of such.
Customer: Mark
Alex Watts :

Anything in writing, re the agreement?

Customer: Nothing in writing Alex
Alex Watts : Thanks, ***** ***** here is your friend is holding possessions.
Alex Watts : What you need to do is write and formally ask for your possessions or say you will seek a court order. If he refuses then you should get a solicitor to write a letter. There will be a cost to this but it may be a quick end to the matter.
Alex Watts : If he still does not allow access then you can go to court and ask for the items to be delivered up or you given access.
Alex Watts : You would need to complete form N1 and take it to your local county court, the form is here
Alex Watts :
Alex Watts : The court will send a copy to the other side and then list the matter for hearing and decide whether to make the order.
Alex Watts : Clearly there will be a cost, but if you win a judge can award you costs.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you