How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Hello, the bus stop outside our house is clearly marked on

This answer was rated:

Hello, the bus stop outside our house is clearly marked on the road but after 15 years and not having a flag or pole a neighbour from 12 houses away has complained that a bus driver told him it wasn't a bus stop and a pole has been installed. There was no consultation with ourselves as to wether we had a problem which we never had, so now have to look at this pole while he sits nicely in his house. Bearing in mind he only catches the bus once a week! Do we have to have road markings as well as a pole?
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Have you raised this with the Council please?

Customer: Hello Alex, yes we raised our concerns prior to the installation of this pole as soon as our distant neighbour mentioned it. We have had no correspondence from the council telling us this was happening until we rang them. The council told us it was planned for next week but they would look into it. However when I return from town today it had appeared with no notification.
Customer: Alex are you still there
Customer: I have spoken to the council and the girl logged the chat/complaint and gave me a reference number. Where do we go from here to get it removed fast
Customer: Have logged a complaint with the council and the girl gave me ref number where do we go from here to get it removed
Customer: Sorry thought my message had disappeared
Alex Watts :

What was the Councils response?

Customer: That the call and complaint had been logged
Alex Watts :

Ok, what you need to do is WRITE to the Chief Executives Office. That Office will investigate your complaint and report back to you.

Alex Watts :

You also need to write to your local Councillor who can take this mater up on your behalf. Remember they are elected officials and therefore should be doing the work that their residents require.

Alex Watts :

So take those two options

Alex Watts :

If that does not do any good then you can complain to the Ombudsman, but you can only do that when you have a final response from the council.

Customer: What about the local mp
Alex Watts :

They offer a free, independent service and can examine your complaint for free at:

Alex Watts :

That should resolve the issue

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Alex Watts :

The MP can't do anything as this is a local decision taken by the Council

Customer: Yes saw that but says to leave it for 12 weeks first. So shall we just do a big hit with all options at once
Alex Watts :


Alex Watts :

Expect for the Ombudsman.

Alex Watts :

You can't do that until you have a final response from the Council

Customer: Will speak to husband to see if he has any other questions
Alex Watts :

Ok. Can I clarify anything else for you?

Customer: Are there any laws on height of the pole or how far a bus stop can be from an island in the middle of the road. As when the bus stops The traffic has to wait behind the bus as this island is restrictive and also close to a junction of a side road
Alex Watts :

Those matters will be contained within the various regulations set out by the Government. What they are, I have to confess I do not know.

Alex Watts :

But in any event the Ombudsman can investigate this for you, if you raise this as part of your complaint.

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you