How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71153
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Back in October 2013 I got a letter from Manchester City council

This answer was rated:

Back in October 2013 I got a letter from Manchester City council saying I have a charge of £60 for going in a bus lane, can be reduce to £30 if I pay within 14 days of letter. I wrote back saying I wish to appeal, by telephone I did not here from them about an appeal, by telephone. On the !9th November 2013 ,they wrote to me saying they where giving me a letter of, NOTCE OF REJECTION OF REPRESNTATIONS. and after carefully considering my case on this occasion they have decided not to cancel the penalty notice. I wrote back to them saying I have not had a telephone hearing yet and also I explained the situation you are on about in a letter. At this time Manchester Housing where moving all from Lilly Thomas Court, as the wanted to knock the centre down. Over I believe an Asbos issue. The council moved me to my present address. Back in November 2914 I get a letter from Marston with an notice of Enforcement. 0n the 19th November I explained to Marston that I had ask for an appeal which I had not had. They wrote to me on the 27th November saying that I need to supply them with my personal circumstances. which I sent a letter from jobcentre plus, dated 3 /12/14 with what I get. After a few phone calls to them They decided to sent me a Debt payment card with 1st payment fortnightly of £12,50 for 6months. I said this is not fair. They suggest I write to you and Manchester City Council about the situation J Duncan
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
There is never any point in negotiating with bailiffs over things like this.
What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what do you recommend I do

It is not particularly good news.
Come what may, this has gone to adjudication which has been decided against you. There are only two options now.
The first is to pay in full to stop bailiff fees spiralling.
The second is to make a statutory declaration. The difficulty with that is that you don't actually seem to have a ground. You will find the four grounds here
Normally people in your position come under the heading that they appealed but did not receive a response but you did. You just did not receive the forms to appeal to the adjudicator.
If you complain to the council they might be willing to take it back to that stage in the interests of fairness.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you