How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71136
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

my partner had got rid of my old car( behind my back) the car

This answer was rated:

my partner had got rid of my old car( behind my back) the car was in his mums garage. I continued to sorn the car not knowing he had got rid if it. when I did find out about it. he said he gave me the slip of paper to say it had been scrapped. And I do not remember having it, I have gone through paper work but found nothing. I'm now getting panicky and worked up. I havent had a reminder( car tax) this DEC for the car. I'm to frightened to phone the dvlc because I've been told by a friend I'll get fined. I know it's silly to get worked up but I am. thank you.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm panicking about if I get a fine as I do not have saving's. would it be better to tell them I have not got the paper work to say the car is scrapped. And see what happens.

Well, you can only tell the truth with these things.
If you are saying that you SORNed the vehicle in good faith but that he has sold it on so it circulating then you need to tell them as soon as possible. There might well be penalties in it for you but it is a lot better than having them find out that the vehicle is in circulation without you declaring yourself to them and pursuing you for more serious offences.
The DVLA do not always prosecute an honest mistake anyway. It is only if they find out otherwise than by your declaration that it will start to look like a dishonest mistake and you want to avoid that.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your help. Jo. I'll man up and phone them.

No problem and all the best. You are much better off doing that than letting them find you as they will in the end.
Please remember to rate my answer.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you