How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71051
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

hi next doors house has had a bad leak it has affected our

Customer Question

hi next doors house has had a bad leak it has affected our stairs it is black on the walls and the wallpaper is comming of next door is a rented property we have had loads of problems with this landlord i dont know the extent of the damage it has done the plaster work is totally soaked who can we claim of
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Is this is caused by a leak then it is probably a structural problem with the property which would be down to the landlord not the tenant. It is quite unlikely that it would be caused by any decorative work the tenant has done and if it is then the landlord can defend on that basis and the tenant can be added to the claim.
It is a simple enough small claims court claim which would be cheap and quick to issue.
It is a good idea to send him a letter before action before issuing though. Maybe it will be successful. Maybe not. If not though at least it will protect you from costs.
Can I clarify anything for you?