How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

During very wet weather water regularly floods the front of

This answer was rated:

During very wet weather water regularly floods the front of my house and enters the garage. The water comes from the highway as the road is slightly higher than the courtyard in front of the house. This is not general flooding of the area but localised flooding of the road in front of the courtyard due to the road construction and a failure to provide adequate highway drainage.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : For now please let me know if you have had a survey that has identified the problem?

No I have just spoken to the highway engineer.

Alex Watts : Ok. I would get a survey done, identifying the problem and solution. Send a copy of this report to the council and say unless they resolve it within 28 days you will go to court.
Alex Watts : If they do not then you can contact the local government ombudsman, they investigate local authority complaints and can examine your complaint including the report for free. Their website is
Alex Watts : If that does not resolve the matter then you can go to court and seek an order that they do the work.
Alex Watts : You can show the judge the report you have had done, say you are getting flooding and this is a statutory nuisance.
Alex Watts : The court can then order the work is carried out.
Alex Watts : But really you need a report in the first instance to identify what the problem is and a solution. You should get the costs of this back from the council.
Alex Watts : Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

Thanks I can see the sense in getting a report and will explore that action.

Ash and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you