How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71042
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have been a silly boy, I drove a car that was insured in

This answer was rated:

I have been a silly boy, I drove a car that was insured in my name but my provisional licence has been revoked. I hit a transit van and did some minor damage to the back of their van. My car had substantial damage. We exchanged details and he drove off within 10mins. They have made a claim on my insurance, but my insurance wont pay out for the licence reasons. What will happen?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
They could sue you personally. Most likely they will just claim from the MIB who, I am afraid, will probably try to reclaim from you with costs. They can be quite aggressive. I would try to settle privately if you can.
They could also report this to the police. Some insurance companies do that and some do not. If they do then they will probably prosecute you for having no insurance. That carries 6 points normally but you have to take into account that there was a collision and so they could give you a short ban. There will also be a fine proportionate to your means and costs of £85 if you plead at first instance.
If it is just minor damage then I would try to settle. At least it would avoid a claim from the MIB and also remove the motivation to report you to the police.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you