How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34902
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have ben separated from my childrens partner for the last

This answer was rated:

I have ben separated from my childrens partner for the last six years. Throughtout that time I have paid her maintence of two hundred and fifty pounds a month for my two girls one 7 years old the other 9. i curently have them two days per week Saturday to Monday. She has recently married her partner who is living with her and the kids. I want to spend more time with my kids half the week, which my kids agree to. Would i still have to pay her the 250 a month which i am giving her also i buy most of there clothes and shoes also.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What income do you each have and have you discussed this plan with your ex at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I have not said anything to her jet just wanted to know where I stand I earn 250 a week and when she is work she gets 80 to 100 a day as she is a painter not sure what her husband earns
Is the £250 a week gross or net?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You are overpaying the maintenance at the moment
Your liability is for 16% of your gross income less two sevenths because you have the children two nights a week.
If the current contact pattern does move to a fully 50/50 shared care then no Child maintenance will be payable HOWEVER you shoudl not have discussed this with the children first - they are too young for their wishes to be decisive.
Instead you should discuss increasing the time the children spend with you with your ex using family mediation
It could be wiser to seek a one night a week increase to start with.
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you