How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Matt Jones Your Own Question
Matt Jones
Matt Jones, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 671
Experience:  I am a qualified and practising Solicitor with over 7 years post qualification experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Matt Jones is online now

Hi, I am a long term lessee in this small ground floor self

Customer Question

Hi, I am a long term lessee in this small ground floor self contained flat in a converted house. The freeholder sold the freehold earlier this year and the new freeholder occupies the two floors above me (1st & 2nd floors). Due to this sale I have been looking through my Lease and find that I am not required to contribute towards the insurance for the building (I have my own contents insurance), I find that I need not contribute towards the insurance for the building. Having lived here for 15 years and always contributed towards the building insurance on demand, may I now demand a retrospective reimbursement from the previous freeholder, if I am able to find him? I have kept all demands and proof of payments. Thank you.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 3 years ago.
Matt Jones :

HI i will try and help.

Matt Jones :

How sure are you that you have this correct?

Matt Jones :

The lease can contain such an obligation in different places. It can be called "insurance rent", or it can be further back in the lease under a general "service charge" catch all clause.

Matt Jones :

Also have you/ the freeholders ever claimed on the insurance policy?