How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12179
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have been the victim of an assault recently and called the

This answer was rated:

I have been the victim of an assault recently and called the police to report the crime while in a drunken and upset state. The police have been unable to gather any evidence to support the assault took place and the day after I met with the police advising I did not want to press charges as to be honest it would not be worth the hassle for me or my family as we live in a small community. I have since heard the police still want to talk with the person that assaulted me, will the police tell him the source of the complaint ? I live in Scotland.
Thank you for your question.
The police should not tell the person about the source of the assault. Given that it's in its early stage and no one has been charges you should re confirm to the police that you were upset or drunk and can't proceed with providing evidence to support your initial allegations. Go to see the inspector at the police station and explain this face to face if you have to.
The police can largely do as they please once a report is made but if you make it plain that there is no animosity between the parties and everyone wants to get on with their life, it would be hoped that the police would have better things to do.
Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you