How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71158
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Can my Mothers husband - not my father - who have lived in

This answer was rated:

Can my Mothers husband - not my father - who have lived in france for 20ish years, force me to pay for her long term hospital / home care? I live in the UK. Thanks
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I live in the UK. My mother married, then moved to France 20ish years ago. They have spent all the money they had (as far as I can tell) and my mothers husband has put her into long term / permanent care. I have now received a letter (in french) that seams to ask for my income / outgoings. "Obligation Alimentaire"

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
No answer received
It doesn't matter how much money you have, you cannot be forced to pay for the care of any relative or parent if you are resident in the UK and your parents are in the UK.
The situation may be different in France and in that respect you would need to consult a French lawyer.
I think it highly unlikely that the situation is any different in France and even if it is, I would think that your stepfather would be responsible rather than you.
There are obviously practical difficulties in trying to enforce any French law in the UK although it can be done.
It would need a court order in France which whoever is trying to get you to pay for care would then have to enforce through the UK court.
Can I clarify anything else for you?
Jo C. and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you