How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12181
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

i called the police on my husband because of domestic abuse

This answer was rated:

I called the police on my husband because of domestic abuse and i have now been invited to court as a witness. how can i withdraw the case? he has apologised and our families have gotten involved and i feel he has suffered enough. What do i need to do in order to close this case?

Thank you for your question.
In Scotland you have no way of closing the case. A prosecution is directed by the procurator fiscal and once the police make their report and the fiscal decides to prosecute the original complainer has no function other than to give evidence.
You can get in touch with the fiscal and explain that the families have intervened an resolved the difficulties between you and your husband. The fiscal will then decide whether to proceed. Where a trial has been assigned and prepard for, it is unlikely that he will drop the proceedings but you can try.
What you can't do is refuse to turn up at court and give evidence otherwise you could be charged with obstruction of justice and/or perjury.
Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you