How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71137
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

my son and wife have thrown my grandaughter out playing mental

This answer was rated:

my son and wife have thrown my grandaughter out playing mental games on her ,they said she could collect her furniture and clothing and jewellry with a time they arrange and a police person to be there now my son is saying bin bags will be filled and thrown on garden ,now said he is keeping it all can he do this ?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
How long did he give her to collect her goods ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

wont let her have them wont agree for her to get them

I thought you said he would leave her goods in bin bags?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

only clothing not her valuables or furniture

They are entitled to ask her to leave if she is not paying rent.
He cannot refuse her the return of her property. He doesn't have to allow her free access to the house to recover it but he should make it available for her collection.
She can always book an appointment with a police officer to attend with her to prevent a breach of the peace. They don't have the power to force him to hand over the property but he is not likely to deny it to her in the presence of an officer.
Failing that should could sue for the value of the goods or seek an injunction order for their recover.
In principle she could report it as a theft. If he is refusing to return goods then that is arguably theft. Probably they will not want to get involved because it is a civil matter but they might phone him and encourage him to return the items.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you