How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50209
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I was subject to a bank transfer fraud in which i bought a

This answer was rated:

I was subject to a bank transfer fraud in which i bought a car on line and was asked to transfer the amount to another bank account, the account is now under investigation, so can i get my money back from this bank.
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Have you contacted the bank about this to see if they can return the money to you?


I have contacted the bank but all the information they will give me is that the account is under investigation and they can see that i made a payment of £7900, i don't know if the money was taken out before the account was frozen.

Ben Jones :

Whilst it is possible to get the money back from the bank at some point, there is no guarantee as to when that would happen, or if it will happen at all. This is now under investigation and in their hands and all you can do is allow them to complete the investigation and supply them with any relevant information they may require of you during the investigation. However, you cannot force them to return the money if they decide not to following the investigation. They have no contractual relationship with you and they would not be legally obliged to return the money even if you can show that you were the victim of fraud. I would hope that it would not come to that but bear that in mind. So as you cannot force them to return the money at this stage, I am afraid there is little that you can do apart from to allow them to complete their investigation and await the outcome when you would know exactly where you stand and if they will agree to return the money. If they do not then you will have to consider the court route where you could try and get a court order to force the bank to refund you but that is only an option you should consider if they initially refuse to get the money back for you.

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thanks


This is fine for now thanks.

Ben Jones :

you are welcome, all the best

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you