How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71134
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi I was a guarantor for my daughters rented property, she

This answer was rated:

Hi I was a guarantor for my daughters rented property, she left this property over two years ago and now I have received a baliff letters demanding the arrears of £300 and maintence of £1,500, this has been going on for five months C.A.B. acting on our behalf have now dropped this case as they do not wish to go further because of the dispute. can you help me.. ps my daughter willing to pay arrears but not the maintence.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Is there a ccj against you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo, Many thanks for your reply, No ccj, only baliff letters, also Landlord has changed to two different baliffs.

Is this a bailiff then or a debt collector?
Does she have a CCJ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo, I think its an debt collector, I am not aware of the landlord having a ccj against me.

Did she give notice when she left the house?
I presume this covers the arrears at the time?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo, Yes, my daughter gave a months notice and the landlord has kept the £500 deposit. After my daughter left the rented property, the landlord went ahead to re-decorate the property for the next tenant and as put the bill as repairs to my daughter, please be aware this happen well over two years ago August 2012 surely you taken into account wear and tear. Why two years too late?

Well, he can pursue a claim for up to six years. Courts don't like delay but he cannot be prevented from issuing.
The question is whether it is due. I am not immediately clear upon what the actual dispute is. She doesn't seem to be in arrears at all. She left giving the appropriate period of notice.
You are liable on her behalf if you guaranteed this deal but only if she acts unlawfully.
If there is no CCJ then bailiffs cannot attend. Just invite him to sue and defend if he does. Without a CCJ they cannot take any direct action against you.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you