How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have my tenant's deposit from which I will deduct rent owing.

This answer was rated:

I have my tenant's deposit from which I will deduct rent owing. Am I allowed to retain the remaining amount as compensation for the damage to the sanded floorboards due to her wearing high heels between the front door and her bedroom on the ground floor. She was asked at the beginning of the tenancy not to wear heels in the house. She disputes that she did and considers it fair wear and tear. The amount would be £59.75 The deposit is held by the Deposit Protection Service. I have no direct access to it. Thank you for any help you can give me. Ann Meacher *****@******.***

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

How do you work out the £59.75 please?


the deposit is £340.00. Rent owing £280.25. Remaining amount £59.75. I should add I do not have access to the deposit as it is lodged with the Deposit Protection Service and they will only pay directly to the tenant.

Alex Watts : Ok. Yes but he so you work out that sum for beyond era and tear?

I'm sorry your question has many errors in it and is not clear but I can guess what you mean. I have not worked out the wear and tear specifically but felt that what was left from the deposit would make a minute contribution to the repair of the floor

Alex Watts : Sorry I think it is predictive text gone wrong,
Alex Watts : Yes you can retain it.
Alex Watts : You should take photos and get a number of quotes to repair it,
Alex Watts : You can then lodge a claim with the tenancy protection service.
Alex Watts : Then when the tenant applies to get the deposit, if she does, the service will already know of your complaint.
Alex Watts : They will then adjudicate and decide whether you get the £59.75
Alex Watts : i assume there is no dispute over the rent owing so there should be no delay with you getting that.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

no thanks

Alex Watts :

You have rated poor service, but the question has been answered fully for you?

Alex Watts :

What else would you like to know?


no that's all thank you. it has now been dealt with

Alex Watts : Can I ask you to re rate my answer please? If you do not give a positive rating I am not credited for my time by the site. If there is anything else I can help with please let me know.
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you