How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12186
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My brother & I inherited our parents' house. It needs a lot

This answer was rated:

My brother & I inherited our parents' house. It needs a lot of money spent on it. I can't afford repairs & wish to sell. My brother doesn't. What is the law? Am I allowed to put it on the market, for it either to sell, or him to buy me out, if he wishes?
Thank you for your question.
As you own the house in joint names it requires joint agreement for a sale or for one to buy out the other.
If you can't agree, you can apply to the court and ask for an order to sell the property. You would be as well to reach agreement as there is no defence to such an action so your brother is really faced with selling or buying you out whether it goes to court or not, but you can't market or sell without both signatures.
Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. This is exactly what I thought.