How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35049
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have been married (traditionally in Zimbabwe) to my ex-partner

This answer was rated:

I have been married (traditionally in Zimbabwe) to my ex-partner for 14years. We lived together in the UK from June 2000 to January 2012 when we separated. We have 2 children together.
We have a house, 2 cars and a lot of property back in storage in Zimbabwe that we bought over the time we were together. I paid a total of £11 000 for storage over period of time. Now he will not let me have any of those things since everything is in his name.
My questions are:
1. Do I have a claim on these things?
2. I need him to pay me back my money I paid for the storage
3. Can I get help here when the property is in Zimbabwe.
We're both here in the UK.
Thank you
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Are there any assets here in the UK?
What income do you each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare

Thanks for your response. No there are no assets here in UK. I'm not sure about his income. I'm a nurse.

How old are the children?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
15 and 7years old.
Doe she pay child maintenance?
Best guess on his income?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He hasn't been paying so I contacted child maintaince and she will be starting on 30th January. According to the letter they sent me he earns anything between £200 and £800 per week.
What is the value of the assets in Zimbabwe
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm not sure but I think it's around
USD200 000 or even more.
You can issue Divorce proceedings here in the Uk and you can ask for the finances to be dealt with here.
My concern however is that you will struggle to enforce any Uk Order in Zimbabwe and there are no Uk assets to trade your entitlement against.
You may be able to get an Order for a lump sum payable by installments - but even that could be a problem
I am sorry not to give you better news - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We were not married in a church or court so can I still proceed.
Provided you have evidence of the marriage then yes you can do
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi what can I use as evidence of the relationship. we never had joint accounts or anything like that.
It is not evidence of the relationship - it is evidence of the marriage.
This could be photo graphs, a statement from someone else who was there - or even the fact that you came here as a spouse not a partner
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you