How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

money owed for work done

Customer Question

money owed for work done
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
How much money are you owed?
Is the invoice now outside payment terms?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the amount owing is 740 pounds i completed work 10 mnts ago

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
youve charged me 38 pounds and noy given me any information
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

money owed 740 pounds yes

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.
I would recommend you have two options:
1. Inexpensive option - if you are certain that the debt is not disputed then you can serve this person with a Statutory Demand.
Once you serve a statutory demand the debtor will have 21 days to pay and if they do not pay you can use this as evidence to present a winding up petition (or bankruptcy petition) against the individual/company.
The advantage of this is that it is inexpensive and will put huge pressure on the debtor to pay within 21 days.
The disadvantage is it can be easily set aside as the threshold of proof is fairly low - the debtor just needs to show an arguable case.
The only other issue is you need to be owed at least £750 to petition for someone's bankruptcy or winding up - therefore you will need to check if you can claim interest if this is commercial debt.
2. Slightly more expensive option - but time consuming - - commence a county court claim. Once you have a Judgment you can then take enforcement action like sending in the bailiffs or seeking a charge over property if this is an individual who owns a property.
Would you like to discuss any of these options.
Kind regards