How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now

I am a british citizen want to marry an Egyptian man who is

This answer was rated:

I am a british citizen want to marry an Egyptian man who is here in uk on work permit. Can I know what is the procedure and papers required
Hi, thank you for your question, I will be happy to help you today.
Due to the recent changes in the immigration laws there is no requirements to ask the home office of any prior permission before you marry in the UK. What you will require is to adhere to the requirements of the registry offices in England.
When you go to the register office, you need to take proof of your name, age and nationality, eg your:
birth certificate
driving licence
national identity card
immigration status document
You should bring at least 2 of these.
The registrar also needs something with your address on it, eg your driving licence or one of the following dated within the last 3 months:
gas, water or electricity bill
bank statement
Council Tax bill
You can use the link below to call the registry office to make an appointment:
I hope this answers your question if however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for ur answer
I just have few questions more, what will happen to my fiancé visa status after the marriage and if the marriage at the registery office confident or any one can get my marriage details if searched for
Thank you for your reply.
1. Your fiance's status will remain the same, it is only when he applies for a visa on your basis will his status be changed.
2. No , not everyone can access the marriage records, you can ask the registry office for more details.
I hope this clarifies the matter.
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks a lot for your help
Last question if u don't mind..... What will happen if he finished his work contract and had to leave the country? And when can he applies for a visa on my basis and is there any time limit to when he can apply as spouse visa or resident visa
Thank you for your reply.
No there are no limitations, he can either:
1. Apply for a spouse visa from inside the UK and submit the application in BEFORE the expiry of his current visa.
2. Return to his home country and apply for the visa the very next day, there are no limitation whatsoever.
I hope this clarifies the matter.
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much for your kind help
You have been very helpful, I will pass these information to my fiancé and came back to you ( if you don't mind) if there are any more questions
Many thanks
Thank you for your reply, its a pleasure.
I would be grateful if you could provide a rating so I can get credited for my time. I will be happy to answer any further questions you may have.
Kind regards
UK_Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry to bother u again but how long after marriage my husband can apply for indefinite leave and is there any restrication for applying
Thank you for your reply.
After marriage your husband would need to apply for a spouse visa, the visa will be issued for 2.5 years, before the 2.5 years visa expires, he will need to apply for extension for another 2.5 years. Upon completing 5 complete years in the UK he will be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain.
I hope this clarifies the matter.
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, it's me again
Just few questions please,
1- if my husband would like to apply for indefinite leave to remain, you said it is after 5 years, do they cout this 5 years from the time of marriage or from the time of applying to spouse visa?
2- do they count years of marriage if it is done in another country other than uk, or they count only at the time of uk marriage
3- can my husband work on spouse visa and can he have his own business
4- what will happen in case of my death ( or divorce) to my husband if he is on spouse visa
5- do they need any prove of financial support when applying for spouse visa
Sorry to keep bothering u and many thanks
Thank you for your reply.
1. 5 Yeas counts from the time he is issued with a visa.
2. No the requirement for ILR will be dependent on residency in the UK.
3. Yes, there are no bars to him undertaking any work in the UK.
4. If you die, then he will automatically obtain ILR as a bereaved spouse, if you divorce, then he would either need to switch to another visa category or leave the UK.
5. Yes, you need to show that both you and your partner are earning at least £18,600 gross. So that would be joint income, so for example if you are earning £9,300 gross and so is your husband this would be sufficient for the issuing of the visa. You would need to ensure that you have been working for the same employer for at least 6 months.
Its a pleasure, and no problem at all.
Hope this helps.
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much for your kind help and quick response
To clarify few points
1- if I am not working but I have funds coming to my account monthly, will that be enough.
2- at the time of renewing the spouse visa after 2.5 years will they still need financial support documents and what if my husband was not working at the moment but my income was above £18,600 will that be enough
Many thanks
Thank you for your reply.
1. If its rental income or income of some sort then yes, it can not be a friend etc paying you monies. The source of income is important.
2. Yes, all you need to show now as well as during the renewing period is that ONE of you is earning the required amount. So if when you apply for a spouse visa and your partner was the only earner, this would be sufficient.
Kind regards