How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I had my van stolen with all my tools in it I have tool insurance

This answer was rated:

I had my van stolen with all my tools in it I have tool insurance with my public liability insurance. my van went missing between 6pm and 7.30 am my policy states that if the tools were stolen be 6pm and 6 am they need to be locked in a looked building. If they were stolen between 6am and 9pm they just need to be locked in a van as I have no proof what time the tools were stolen I put in a claim which they have rejected stating the balance of probability says the tools were stolen before 6am can they do this?
Alex Watts : Hello Steve my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : For now please let me know the value of the claim?



do you need any more information

Alex Watts :

You need to write and make a formal complaint. I do not know if your policy states this exclusion.

Alex Watts :

They will investigate the matter and then come back to you.

Alex Watts :

If you are not happy with that response then you can complain to the Ombudsman. They offer a free, independent service at:

Alex Watts :

If they do not uphold the complaint then all you can do is go to Court.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses of £1500 and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you