How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10780
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

My mother died in may. My father died in 2003. They both had

This answer was rated:

My mother died in may. My father died in 2003. They both had identical wills leaving house etc to each other then eventual to me their only child.I applied for probate and this was granted, I now have a buyer for the house but unfortunately the deeds do not name mam and the house is not registered.I need to know what I have to do next Thank you.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

As the Deeds are in your late Father's sole name, you will need to apply to the Probate Registry for Letters of Administration de bonis non. You will be applying as Executor of your Mother's Will and this Grant applies to the administration of estates that have not been completed by the time the original Executor has died.

Once you have received the Grant, you will then be able to sell the property.

If you appoint a Solicitor to deal with the Sale, their Wills department will be able to assist you in dealing with the application, unless you are wishing to do it personally. The Sale can still proceed, but it will just mean that you won't be able to exchange Contracts until the grant has been obtained (it is likely to take 3-4 weeks, and during which your Buyer's Solicitor will be putting in hand searches/raising enquiries with your Solicitor/ Buyer arranging any Mortgage, so it should all fit into place once the Grant has been received).

Nearly all Solicitors have a Wills/Probate department, so provided you instruct a local firm, as opposed to any "Conveyancing firm" the Agents may push you towards, it will cut down on any undue delay.

I hope this assists and answers your question.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Hi Angela,

Can I assist you any further?

KInd Regards