How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12088
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

How can I surrender a potential weapon (antique) to the police

This answer was rated:

How can I surrender a potential weapon (antique) to the police without prosecution?
Thank you for your question.
What weapon is it?
How did you come by it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ceremonial cavalry sword (my father's, from when he served in the army during WW2), and a kukri (gift from my brother 45 years ago, brought back from the Far East).

It isn't illegal to own these in provate but you could be in trouble if you take it out, even if you're intending to take it to the police station especially if there's no amnesty scheme at the time.
Contact the police, tell them you want to hand these in and take their advice and instruction as to what they want you to do.
Two alternatives:
1. Wrap them up and hide them in cardboard and other rubbish and take them to the dump. Put them in the crusher.
2. If there may be some value in them, ask an auction house to collect them from you and sell them for you.
I hope this helps. I'm happy to discuss further.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you