How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now

5 years cap rule

This answer was rated:

UK Immigration Law - if you went on an interruption of studies (hence visa curtailed) under Tier 4, and came back on new visa in order to resume your studies, does the period that you have not spent in the curtailed visa count towards 5 years cap under Tier 4 Student Visa?

Hi, thank you for your question.
This is a grey area and it is arguable that you were actually not studying at the time of curtailment and therefore it should not be counted towards the cap.
This point is something that you would need to make the home office aware of when you submit the application and then explain why you feel that the period under curtailment was not spent studying and due to this you were unable to complete your academic year and thus need to start this again when you commence your year upon entry to the UK.
It will then be up to the home office to consider your request and issue the visa for the duration.
I hope this answers your question if however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.
Kind regards
I hope this answers your question, if so please provide a rating so I can get credited for my time.
Kind regards
UK_Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you