How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

A man calling on our House Entry Intercom System asking for

Customer Question

A man calling on our House Entry Intercom System asking for my wife is claiming to be a High Court Official and wants to serve papers on my wife.
My wife has severe mental illness and is deeply worried.
We have had no correspondence to suggest that we may receive such a visit.
Do we have to let him in?
Do we have to accept the papers?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
No, you don't have to let him in.
He can serve papers by post or by placing them through the letter box though so it doesn't achieve all that much.
He is not likely to be a bailiff because he is trying to serve papers rather than seize goods.
That said, bailiffs have been known to 'become confused' about the accuracy of their statements to get people to open the door so if you don't want to take the risk then you can always ask him to serve by post.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your response and information. Very helpful

Kind regards


Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile