How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10774
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

Hellomy good friend and colleague of over 26 years died today.

Customer Question

my good friend and colleague of over 26 years died today. He did not marry & has no children, but has a brother and sister who weren't close and do not wish to become involved. It was my friend's wish that I deal with his affairs, but I believe he left no will. If the brother and sister write letters confirming that they are happy for me to carry out my friend's wishes (I have spoken to one of them by phone and he suggested this course of action) is this above board?
Thank you - Tim, Seaton, Devon
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Could you please confirm what assets your friend left? Did he have a house or monies over £5,000?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards


Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Sorry Tim- the above post was meant to be an Info request!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.


No, my friend John owned no property, and was living for most of 2014 in a residential care home. I cannot awnswer your question re financial situation as I was not privy to such details.


Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hi Tim,
Thanks for your reply.
I was trying to establish the value of your friend's Estate because if it is over £5,000 then the next of kin will need to apply for a Grant called "Letters of Administration". This is a legal document issued by the Probate Registry to the next of kin, in situations where the deceased died without making a Will. The Grant is then produced to the Banks/Building Societies before they will then close the account and hand over the money to the next of kin.
Unfortunately, the Probate Registry therefore have to issue such a Grant to the next of kin and Letters of Administration can not be granted to a non family member.
In short, therefore, on the basis that your friend has over £5,000, I'm afraid you are not going to be able to deal with the Estate.
I hope this answers your question, but please let me know if you require any further clarification.
Kind Regards
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hi Tim,

Can I help you any further?

Kind Regards