How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have a dispute with a car sale. I have called the seller

This answer was rated:

I have a dispute with a car sale. I have called the seller once and he didn't wish to discuss. I followed up with one email outlining in detail the problems with the vehicle and the compensation I was seeking including images, inspection reports and repair receipts, requesting repayment within 14 days. He has replied claiming it was all my fault and disregarded any mis descriptions pointed out. He also said he was concerned I was trying to extort him, stating he has contacted a lawyer and the police and did not want me to contact him again. I was hoping to work it out or at worst seek mediation. Should I now complete a money claim (small claims court) or is there anything else I must do before taking it to court?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
I know you have written to him already but it is probably a good idea to send him a formal letter before action.
It doesn't have to be formal. You just set down that if he does not pay within a further 14 days you will sue. It will protect you from costs applications if you lose at court.
He does seem to be defending this action although it is quite unlikely that he has contacted either a lawyer or the police or if he has they won't be interested. They are much too busy mediating domestic squabbles.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No that's very helpful. I was reading the moneyclaim site and it expects both parties to explore all avenues using the court as a last resort. Very difficult if he states that I should not contact him again. Thanks again Jo
Yes, I know he does but the police will not act on that basis or if they do then that is just plain abuse of the law and you could complain. You are not harassing him. You are trying to resolve a dispute. Most harassments are a load of twaddle in truth that should be elsewhere than in a criminal court but even the police would not act over this.