How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71031
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Ms90 6 points

Customer Question

Ms90 6 points
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Initial offence was speeding
Company vechile not in my name
First letter I recieved was court summons
Got 6 points for ms90
Told court I didn't receive anything
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
We're you convicted after trial?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I pleaded not guilty recieved 6 points and a fine
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Why did they convict you?
Magistrates have to give reasons?
I suppose they said they didn't believe you hadn't received it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They said its unlikely if there are no problems with the mail
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Such as?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
With the post?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I said no not that I was aware of, but how would I know
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Usually when you have ordered something and it hasn't arrived?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I mentioned sometimes the guy in the other rd sometimes gets mail but he usually drops it off,
They just dismissed it
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, Magistrates do often do that. It is ultimately something they are free to do I'm afraid.
This comes down to the fact that they just plain didn't accept your version of events I'm afraid. They are allowed to do that although it is annoying. It is no more complicated than that. If you didn't receive the S172 request then you cannot respond. They just didn't accept that you haven't.
You can always appeal within 28 days of sentence to the Crown Court. You have an automatic right. You will have to convince the Crown Court that you didn't receive the NIP though. If you do lose then you face an increased c osts order although the points will still be the same.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is appeal likely to be listened to, if I just say the same thing?
What cost are involved to appeal?
I never mentioned I wasn't registered keeper in court , would this help
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
It goes to the Crown Court and is heard by a Judge and two Magistrates.
There is a risk that they could disbelieve you though.
If you lose at appeal the costs would probably be around £200-£300. It is a paper exercise so not costly.
Whether you were the registered keeper or not is a non issue if a S172 request was sent to you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can I represent myself or would a solicitor be looked upon better in court
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
No, you can self represent.
It is generally better to have representation but you won't get legal aid so would have to pay privately so it is a balancing exercise.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I genuinely never recieved any letter but the court summons, and feel its unfair .
What would you advise?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
I would appeal it personally but then I wouldn't mind the risk of having to pay costs again.
If you cannot risk further costs then that is something to consider.
Magistrates do make the wrong decision fairly regularly so you might get it overturned.