How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3843
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

there, I live in my partners house in which I own no stake.

This answer was rated:

Hi there, I live in my partners house in which I own no stake. I am leaving him this weekend which he will not like. I have all my possessions including furniture, clothes, jewellery etc at his house, where I have been living for 2.5 years. As I have not had enough time to plan my departure, If he threatens to change the locks can I check where I stand on getting my possessions back, please? Any help gratefully received
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Your possessions belong to you regardless of whether you move out. If you refuses to return then you can sue him for them. Ultimately you just need to be able to prove what belongs to - clothes and jewelry is obvious furniture is slight more complex.
Do you know what the value of these possessions are- and could he have any grounds to claim they are jointly owned?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He has no claim on any of my items as he did not contribute financially towards them - they were moved in with me 2.5 years ago. The only 'proof' I have is photographs of some of the items in situ in my previous house. All the items were moved by a professional home moving company but I do not think they kept an itinerary. I do not have any of the receipts as some I have owned for years (and I didn't think it necessary to keep them) but overall value is under £10,000 I would estimate (I have started compiling a list) but their replacement value would be higher

Hope this helps


Thank you.
To be entirely honest with you, your legal right to these items is not going to stop the malevolence of another person. If you value these items I would make arrangements to move out as many of them as you can before you make your final move.
Ultimately if he destroys them or dumps them somewhere all you will end up getting back is money, which cannot make up for any sentiment in the objects.
Keeping a list will certainly help and photographs as well will assist - as you would need these items as evidence if you had to sue him in court. Just make sure your description of each item is as detailed as possible.
Do you suspect he might be inclined to destroy or dispose of any of the stuff?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I suspect he might be inclined to try to keep them, as they are of nice quality and have been used as 'our' items since I have been there. He is of unsound mind (diagnosed as Bipolar) and I would therefore not reliably be able to predict how he will react. But I don't suppose it will be straightforward. I wanted to find out where I stand as far as the law is concerned so, going by what you have said, I may have to weather the storm and make arrangements whilst I am still living there. He may be completely reasonable but history suggests unpredictability. He is generally non-violent in my experience and I would be surprised if he destroyed them but, as I said, I cannot be sure how he will react.

Thank you.
The law is as simple as you are the "legal owner of the items" you entitled to remove them and dispose of them as you wish.
Practically if he locks you out the house then you have to sue for the return of the items. This can be done at your local county court
I am sure this wont go to court though. If he refuses to return your items, go to a local solicitor and ask them to write him a letter demanding your access to the items. You will find that most will tend to change the way they react when faced with a solicitors letter (on headed paper) - it will show you have received advice, know rights and should be taken seriously.
Kind regards
Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you