How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

A friend took out travel insurance to go to Thailand. His

This answer was rated:

A friend took out travel insurance to go to Thailand. His wife became ill while there and later died in Thailand. He has been dealing with Intana insurance with my help (he is 79, hard of hearing and not good with paperwork so enlisted my help) and they have for months been asking him for one document after another, seeming to just drag it all out, and now they have refused the claim. They are taking each bill and applying the excess to it - so the total bill is over £1000 but by splitting it into 3 different bills they are applying the £500 excess to each bill instead of to the whole. Is this legal? They have put him to considerable expense by wanting the Thai death certificate and getting it translated and it seem very unfair to me the way he has been treated.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : For now please let me know what the terms say about how they treat bills etc

I do not understand the question.


I do not have access to the Policy if that is what you mean. My friend got someone to take it out for him online (he does not have a computer) and he cannot remember ever getting a copy of the Policy. This seems very negligent to me, the insurance company should have sent it to him.

Alex Watts : Indeed. If it's online it should have been emailed to him or his friend?

yes I have made enquiries from his friend and I have got a copy of it now. The insurance company was "goodtogo" and you can access the policy on their website. It was taken out in January 2014. It is 28 pages long so I have not read it all but you might be able to go to the relevant part.


the claim is being dealt with by a company called Intana who seem to be a claims settling company (so far as I can see an avoiding paying company)

Alex Watts : Your friend needs to write and set out a formal complaint.they will investigate the matter through their complaints procedure.
Alex Watts : It does seem very odd they want an excess on each and every item and it's not usual.
Alex Watts : If they do not uphold the complaint then he can complain to the financial ombudsman who regulate insurance companies.
Alex Watts : They offer a free, independent service and can examine the complaint for free at
Alex Watts : That should resolve your complaint.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

should the complaint go to Intana or goodtogo?

Alex Watts : To the insurance company direct, not their agent.
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you