How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now


This answer was rated:

Can i get help with my mortgage,I'm 64,unemployed ,receive 20p Pension Credit with an outstanding mortgage of £170,000 ..£1163.87 per month I have a private pension of£800 per month tax credits of £62.87 p.w. for my grandaughter and related child benifit ,soon to stop ,with no other income.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : For now please let me know what you want to know about this?

I am asking if I am entitled to any help with my mortgage repayments ,as i've said I am unemployed and receive minimum amount Pension Credit.,my private pension of £800 p.m is my only income.I was previously receiving child related benifits for my grandchildren which will cease 25/1/2015

Alex Watts : In short you can't afford the mortgage repayments. Is it interest only or repayment?
Alex Watts : what is the interest element if repayment ?

Its repayment ..4.74%

Alex Watts : I assume you are retired?
Alex Watts : Did you not realise you might be able to take it back when you took it out?

Well yes ,I will start to receive state pension this november

Alex Watts : How long have you been retired for?
Alex Watts : ok
Alex Watts : Its bad news I am afraid.
Alex Watts : Sadly you can't get benefit to help with this.
Alex Watts : If you had been unemployed, looking for work then the state may pay the interest element of the mortgage.
Alex Watts : However as you have retired the state is not going to do this.
Alex Watts : Therefore sadly the onus is on you to pay it. So therefore I am sorry to say you can't get a benefit for this.
Alex Watts : It may be that the lenders can extend the term or make it interest only to Lower the payment

I havent worked since 2009.Iwas receiving JSA but it then changed to Pension Credit

Alex Watts : I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Alex Watts : Yes sadly there is no benefit.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Could you tell me about SMI which is to help with housing as I receive pension credit am I entitled


Can you clarifyDid you not realise you might be able to take it back when you took it out? please

Alex Watts : You are possibly entitled to SMI

how would i qualify

Alex Watts : It is only help towards interest so you would still have to pay the capital nack
Alex Watts : back
Alex Watts : You must be getting one of the following benefits to qualify for Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI):
Alex Watts : Income Support, or income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, or income-related Employment and Support Allowance, orPension Credit
Alex Watts : You must apply for it at the job centre.
Alex Watts : So they may help toward the interest costs but not capital repayment. You would be responsible for that.

I receive Pension Credit ,is that sufficient

Alex Watts : Yes it should be. But you need to apply at the job centre

I was intending to phone Pension Credit on Monday ...would it be possible to apply on line at job centre

Alex Watts : that I don't know.
Alex Watts : For more information please go to
Alex Watts :

think i've already been there but many thanks

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.