How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71048
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am recently a single parent. I wish to move with my baby

This answer was rated:

I am recently a single parent. I wish to move with my baby daughter to live in a friends house, she has two spare bedrooms. I am currently on maternity leave but wish to return to work part time as a teacher and pay for childcare to do this. I think my income will be low enough to be entitled to some benefits as a single parent. If I have savings of less than £16,000 am I eligible to claim housing benefit to pay my friend?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
You have to have savings of less than £5 k to be eligible for full housing benefit but you would get something.
In relation to your friend, you must declare your relationship. If they find out afterwRds they will say this is fraud. You can rent from a friend and get housing benefit but they will probably want an AST through an agency and maybe a statutory declaration from her.
Can I clarofy anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer that helps.. If I have a current mortgage but cant afford the payments as I have become a single parent am I entitled to anything in terms of housing benefit in order to help me to stay?

Yes, they will sometimes help you pay the interest if it is up to local housing benefit rates and doesnt exceed your needs
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you- Im trying to establish the best course of action to take now as a single parent,the information is very helpful.

No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks again.

No problem.