How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35045
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

, Wondering if you can assist.... I am having problems

Customer Question

Wondering if you can assist....
I am having problems with an ex partner, a relationship I ended 2.5 years ago. The breakup was problematic in that she refused to move out and threatened to take her own life etc. It got so bad I had to move out of my own flat because the atmosphere became intolerable. In the end, I had to call the police and get them involved. They came to my flat to prevent a breach of the peace and she moved out (reluctantly).
She then harassed me by way of phone calls, text messages and emails for several weeks. I contacted the Metropolitan Police again and a 1st stage harassment warning was issued. That seemed to work for a few months and during that time I started a new relationship with someone who I am with to this current day.
However, my ex partner has continued to stalk me on twitter and other social media. She posts photos and tweets indirectly towards me and my current partner. She even has pictures of me on her Twitter profile, and refuses to move them. I had to make contact with her in a plea to get her stop doing what she was doing and move on with her life.
Because she was a prison officer, the harassment warning must have flagged up on her vetting refresher and she was suspended from her job, stimulating a further tirade of tweets and text messages to me (as she had my new number for the reasons above).
In addition, she posted abusive tweets towards my current partner, causing her to come off twitter altogether. We moved out of London and bought a lovely home up north. However my ex has continued to stalk us making abusive references to our new home and me as a person.
I genuinely don not know what to do and this is now causing my partner and I considerable distress. I feel that contacting her after the serving of the 1st harassment warning in 2012 may make it void. However, I did that to make a direct plea to get her to stop.
Can you give me suggestions as to what to do?
thank you
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
have you reported the ongoing harassment to the police?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, no I haven't. I'm worried that with me contacting her several months after the original warning was issued (to get her to stop) will discredit me in the eyes of the law and make any new application weak.
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
No not at all.
The fact that you contacted her will not be a major problem given the ongoing harassment over the last two years makes it clear that her behaviour is unreasonable and the Police will take action
This is by far the best way forward - any Civil action is likely to be less effective.
Please ask if you need further details