How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71140
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

In July 2014 we downsized into a small bungalow.We contacted

This answer was rated:

In July 2014 we downsized into a small bungalow.We contacted a firm to put in a new bathroom and paid upfront for it .The bathroom was supplied and fitted by a team of independent fitters whom we paid separately. We asked for the plinth to be fitted later because we were having a Karndean floor laid the following week.Also the measurements for the fitted cupboards and drawers were taken wrongly and a narrower cupboard had to be fitted instead. This meant that a gap occurred along the run.
This happened in August .We have made several phone calls to the original firm and to the fitters to come and complete the job but have been completely ignored.We have been left with an incomplete bathroom for which we have paid over £8000.What can we do to get this job done,please?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Have they given you any excuse for this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No excuses or contacts have been given as most of the calls were messages left on their phone.

Just to be clear, the original company are nothing to do with this?
It was the fitters who should be doing this work and they are separate and were instructed separately by you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The fitters were instructed by the original company. The man from this company made a mistake with the measurements and a narrower cupboard had to be fitted instead,this meant that a gap of 7cm was left needing an infill piece.this piece was not fitted.

If the company are simply going to ignore you my suggestion is to stop trying to deal with this on the telephone and address all future correspondence in writing. Write to them telling them that unless they get this fixed within the next 14 days, you will get it fixed yourself and you will take them to the Small Claims Court for the cost of putting the job right and finishing it off.

They are in breach of the provisions of the Supply of Goods and Services Act for failing to finish off the job within a reasonable period of time or to do it with reasonable care and skill.

If they don’t respond to your letter then you can easily issue Small Claims Court proceedings for the cost of finishing the job by visiting the government website here

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you