How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3843
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

i had an accident in my car last december my insurers gave

This answer was rated:

i had an accident in my car last december my insurers gave me my car back, itook my car for mot and my car past it. the insurers now say they need an engineers report. vosa told me because it was a cat. d right off (cosmetic) i do not need an engineers report. the insurers are adament i need an engineers report, thy gave me until 5 oclock today to get this report. i need insurance as does everyone but because of this i cant get insurance
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Financial institutions (especially insurance companies) have an obligation to treat you fairly. Clearly by giving you misleading information they are not treating you fairly.
What I recommend you do is the following - write/email them and say that you are clearly being given misleading information. Say that you want them to immediately confirm that they will continue to insure you, because you would like to escalate this as a complaint - say that you will agree as a matter of goodwill to explore whether it is possible to obtain an engineers reports but will require at least 15 working days (I presume that is enough?).
Say to them that if they do not treat your complaint fairly and you do not receive a satisfactory response then you reserve the right to take the dispute to the Financial Ombudsman.
If they still refuse to insure you, you will have to mitigate your position and seek insurance else where, but I would then immediately go and complain to the FoS . The FoS has the power to sanction the insurer and award compensation if appropriate.
Kind regards
Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you