How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3843
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

there, Wondering if you can help me? I'm the owner

This answer was rated:

hi there,
Wondering if you can help me?
I'm the owner of a ground floor flat in a converted terraced house, with one other flat above
Both owners have a share of the freehold & there's is no management company etc
i'm looking at renovating our flat and modernising throughout... in doing so we'll be knocking through a structural wall (I'm working with a builder and structural engineer who is putting together the plans, party wall agreements and dealing with building control)
My question is in regards ***** ***** 'License to alter' i'm a little confused over this...
the structural engineer has advised me i need to issue it to our upstairs neighbours and that my solicitor will draft it
however i've been in contact with my solicitors and they have told me that i can do it myself?
i've searched the internet but i'm only finding information on landlords and tenants... or contacting management agents etc... nothing dealing with a shared freehold
Is this something i can do? if so how formal/legal does it need to be? or is there a template or example that i should be following?
thanks for you help any info would be of great help, please let me know if you need any further information
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Is the freehold in both your names jointly?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Yes the freehold is in (My partner and my name), and our (neighbour and his partner's name)

so we share it 50/50

there's no service charges or ground rent etc either



I know this may sound confusing but you need is the following:
A document signed by You, Your partner and your neighbour (as the landlord) granting yourself and your partner (as tenants) a license to alter your flat - in accordance with the terms of your lease.
Really this should be done by a solicitor, if you want to sell the flat in the future then the buyer will want evidence that you have proper consent for the works. On that basis I would insist that a solicitor does to ensure that the content is correct.
I look forward to hearing from you.
As a side point - For future reference if you need free advice on a Lease issue you can contact this Government backed service.
Kind regards
Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for your help!


No problem.
I wish you the best of luck.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can assist any further.
Kind regards