How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have a problem with my council tenancy which I have held

Customer Question

I have a problem with my council tenancy which I have held for the past nine years with Nottingham City Homes. At a recent inspection of my property a Housing Officer complained that I had too many passessions and would be unable to get out of the windows in a fire emergency. I know that I can reach the windows.
I believe that a large part of the matter is that I have a large collection of books which i am loath to sispose of since I use these for study and recreation since retirement. Most of the books are in any case stores on shelves although i have needed to stack some in corners since I live in a single bed-roomed bungalow.
There was also an issue about the Housing Officer being rude to me during his visit, which I formally complained about to the Housing Manager and he has spoken to the officer concerned about his attitude and apologised for the incident.
The Housing Manager wishes to make a follow-up visit with a Fire Safety Officer in about a week to discuss fire safety issues. There is a functioning fire alarm (supplied) in the property but only one exit door. The windows are not dedicated fire exits but ordinary double glazed pvc windows opening outwards at about chest height.
There have never been any fire incidents during my tenancy nor complaints of neighbour nuisance during the whole of my tenancy and I received a £100 award last Christmas for conducting my tenancy responsibly and prompt rent payment.
Could you please advise me about the legal position and whether the council can enforce removal of my books, also what my legal obligations are as a tenant as regards ***** ***** risk.
Yours sincerely,
David Hunter.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know what is it you want to achieve?