How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I recently hired a large van from a local van hire company.

Customer Question

I recently hired a large van from a local van hire company. On returning the van to the offices of the hire company I was told by one of the employees to park the van on double yellow lines between two vehicles.
As I manouvered the van between the two vehicles I clipped one of the vehicles causing damage to that vehicle plus the vehicle I was driving. I did not take out additional insurance when I hired the vehicle and as such had to incur the cost of repair equivalent to the excess. It was £1,150.00 which I have paid.
I wanted to park the van just outside the office which would have been easier but I was directed to the illegal car parking space between the two vehicles. I was wondering how I stand in terms of being able to recover the £1,150. The company does not appear to provide adequate parking facilities hired vehicles.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Alex Watts : my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : Just to confirm it was your fault, because the other vehcile was stationary?
JACUSTOMER-c9jqrlpl- : It was my fault because the vehicle I hit was stationary.
Alex Watts : Did you have a choice to park there?
JACUSTOMER-c9jqrlpl- : I was told to park there.
JACUSTOMER-c9jqrlpl- : I answered you last question but I haven't had any response from you since
Alex Watts :

Sadly if the other vehicle was stationary then it is your fault.

Alex Watts :

No matter how badly designed the car park is you are likely to be at fault.

Alex Watts :

This is because you hit something that was not moving.

Alex Watts :

However if you wish to issue a small claim I will outline the procedure

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Can I clarify anything about this today please?

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish help: