How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34900
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I want to know if my (present husband) & I can claim

This answer was rated:

I want to know if my (present husband) & I can claim maintenance boys that we raised.
My first husband john Callaghan deserted the family in 1968 (yes a long time ago)!
JC lived with a women who called herself Susan Callaghan but I found out later that they were never married. In 1991/2 JC was awarded (I believe it was £300,000+ in Compensation) from the Metropolitan Police damages received whilst he was in their custody. Susan Callaghan put the money in a trust. JC had to go into a Care-home because his damaged brain was partially and surgically removed by medical procedure. Afterwards he was unable to function; having partial long-term memory recall.
(Never worked again)! After JC left us' the family in 1968 - I never ever heard from him again. I was forced to live on benefits until I remarried in1974. Raising my boys in the 1960s-70s was extreme hardship - we existed on £18 per week.
SC still benefits from the compensation awarded to JC - Not one penny has ever been received by us' his wife and children. Does anything here suggest that I have a case to bring against S Callaghan backdated support and/or domestic violence I received when married to him please? Thank you!

Thank you question.

I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Is he still alive?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Look I've given U all the information I have. Please just tell me if I can sue of the monies she has in put in trust - to pass to my sons - on HER

I am sorry but there is no claim that you can make on assets that your ex received long after the separation and divorce and your remarriage.
I asked if he was still alive as if he dies without making a Will then your sons will be entitled to his estate equally between them
I am sorry - I know that this is not the news you wished to hear - but there is no claim that you can make at this late stage
Clare and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you