How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Good morning. I have just bought a motorcycle off a web site

This answer was rated:

Good morning. I have just bought a motorcycle off a web site and on delivery to my specialist the bike was found to have a bent frame which was not stated in the advert. The seller is registered as a business but is refusing to either take the machine back or contribute to the necessary repairs. Do I have a case under the sale of goods act 1979? Many thanks, Andrew
Alex Watts : Hello Andrew my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : Fior now please let me know how much you paid please?

Hi Alex. I paid 3600 pounds sterling.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Alex, That's really helpful. Thanks. Let me just go back to my engineer and understand the costs we are talking about and I'll come straight back to you with any additional Qs before close of business today. Thanks again for your prompt advice. Andrew

Alex Watts : Happy to help Andrew
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Alex, Thanks for your contact. Having written a number of emails offering to come to an agreement on repairing the vehicle (no reply) I have now formally written to the other party as you advised (recorded delivery) and am awaiting a reply which I am pretty sure I will not receive within 14 days of his receipt of my letter. At that point I will use the links you gave me and initiate court procedings. I see a number of potential avenues e.g; Trades Descriptions Act, Sale of Goods Act. Which would you recommend as the safest? I am a serving soldier and need this to go right first time - I cannot afford it to fail. Thanks again, Andrew