How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

. I have a building with 5 flats above it. Last year

Customer Question

I have a building with 5 flats above it. Last year a lorry hit the building causing damage, the tenants had to leave reasons. I was covered of rent but only months. The repair was finally completed approx in 14-15 months, leaving me with a shortfall. I have spoken with the drivers insurance about this, they have offered £750 bills, policy excess and distress. They state that the repair was too long it should have been done sooner. I had no control over any of the works it was all done via my insurance.
I believe I am close to £4000 out of pocket. What would be your advice.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Alex Watts : my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : Fior now please let me know how much you are out of pocket by?
JACUSTOMER-1u4t0i1o- :

. I havent the figures in front of me, but its around £4000

Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
Alex Watts : If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
Alex Watts : The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
Alex Watts : If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation .
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything about this today please?
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish help: