How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I bought a pedigree dog girlfriend and me. I payed for

This answer was rated:

I bought a pedigree dog girlfriend and me. I payed dog and the owners papers are in my name. As far as I'm aware the dog is legally mine. However, since buying the dog we have split up, at the moment my girlfriend has the dog and is refusing to give it back along with other items I bought that I have the receipts for. The breeder has said the papers are in my name because it was me that payed dog. My girlfriend is saying the dog was a gift to her, which it was not. She has got no genuine proof that I gave it to her as a gift. She is now saying she has given it to her daughter birthday present and that I have no claim to the dog. How do I stand about getting the dog back legally.
She has threatened the breeder with calling the police because she put the dog in my name on the papers. The breeder has said because I payed dog that's why my name is ***** ***** papers.
Thank you question.
Are you in Scotland or England?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm in England

You are currently in the Scotsl law section. I've asked that you be transferred to England.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not necessarily the experts fault but reason despite saying in the drop down box I was from England my question went through to scots law. The expert has referred me to English law but I still have not received an answer.

my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Who paid dog and how much?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I paid dog £800 the breeder has proof of this as I transferred the money from my bank account.

You need to write and set out your losses and request the dog is delivered within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not deliver then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
You are asking the Court delivery up order. If the Court orders this and they refuse then they could be in contempt of Court whereby they could be warned, fined or sent to prison.
Can I clarify anything about this today please?
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you