How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My daughter rented a house through a letting agency. She constantly

This answer was rated:

My daughter rented a house through a letting agency. She constantly had problems with mould which ruined her new sofas, clothes and other soft furnishings. The only advice she got from the letting agents was how to wipe it off. My daughter had a damp specialist in who wrote a report as did the landlord after numerous complaints by my daughter. The letting agency told her it was her lifestyle, that she should keep the windows open, stop airing the babies washing in the house and not to have the heating up to high, this through the winter. Both reports show poor ventilation in the property, a problem with the guttering and chimney and no trickle vents. The landlord did get the guttering painted. My daughter moved out, she had a thorough clean done and the garden attended to before she left. The agency/landlord is now withholding the deposit to go towards redecoration - to cover any mould spores left and the property is up again without any work being done to resolve the problem - is this allowed - is there not any laws that stop landlords and letting agencies taking advantage of people like this. We are waiting form from TDS to look at the matter of the deposit.
Alex Watts : my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : How much is the deposit please?



Sorry cannot see answer, am I supposed to be seeing it yet ?

Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy
Alex Watts : If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
Alex Watts : The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
Alex Watts : If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation .
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything about this today please?

Thank you no that's fine

Alex Watts : Great. Can I ask you to rate my answer before you go today, the button should be at the bottom of the screen
Alex Watts : if you need more help please click reply
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you